For Ohioans sweet corn is one of the favorite snack apart from other fall favorites, pumpkin spice and apple cider. Northeast Ohio has plenty of local farmers who produces sweet corn and sell them directly through farm markets or make them available through local stores.
Sweet corn is normally picked fresh and high in sugar. After picked Sweet corn goes through a process in which the sugar turns into starch and brings out a unique flavor. This is the reason why it should be consumed when they are fresh. If you prefer to store it for a later day, make sure that husk is on, secure in airtight bags (plastic bag) and store it in refrigerator. Freshness can last for a week in the fridge but slowly start losing their flavor if stored for an extended time.
Sweet corn is also classified as fruit, vegetable and starch. Corn is also considered a whole grain and is rich in fiber, folate, thiamin, phosphorus, Vitamin C and magnesium. 1 ear is about 77 calories, 17 grams of carbs, 2.9 grams of protein, 2.4 grams of fiber and 1 gram of fat.
Apart from all the above details, Sweet corn is a great snack, fall favorite and best when it is fresh!
Corn on the Cob
- Kitchen Cutting Boards
- Kitchen Knife
- Kitchen Mittens
- Kitchen Scissors
- Silicone Brush
- 1 tbsp of butter as per your taste
- 1 pinch of chili powder as per your taste
- 2 tbsp of yogurt / sour cream as per your taste
- Prepare the corn by removing any extra length of the handle and any silk on the top
- Place the corn in the Microwave
- Set timer to 3 minutes and turn on the Microwave
- After 3 minutes, remove the corn from Microwave. Be careful as the cooked corn will be extremely hot. Use kitchen mittens to handle the corn.
- As show in the video, cut the corn from handle
- Use corkscrew to secure the the corn (as show in the video)
- Gently pull the husk from the top by holding the corkscrew on the other side.
- Cut the corn into 2 pieces or use it as it is
- Apply butter on the cob using Silicone Brush
- Sprinkle chili powder on the corn (as per the taste)
- Apply Yogurt or Sour Cream (as per the taste)
- Enjoy your homemade snack.
- Avoid extreme heat!. Use the kitchen mittens to handle the corn. After 3 minutes of cooking in the Microwave, corn will be extremely hot.